This is a favourite round at mum's house - we love lemon, we love chicken... so it's perfect really! And don't let anyone tell you that cooking risotto is difficult, because it's really not.
Ingredients (for 4 people):
• 4 chicken leg pieces
• juice of 3 lemons & zest of 2
• 1 tablespoon olive oil
• 2 finely chopped garlic cloves
• a few sprigs of rosemary, basil (or any herb of your choice!)
• 300g arborio risotto rice
• 2 chicken stock cubes in 900ml boiling water
• 1 small head of brocolli, chopped
• Preheat oven to 180º and start heating your frying pan.
• Place the chicken pieces on top of sprigs of rosemary in a roasting dish, season with salt & pepper, and add the juice of one of the lemons and 1cm depth of water. Put it in the oven for 30-40mins.
• Meanwhile, heat the oil in the frying pan & add the garlic.
• Add the rice & stir to coat with oil.
• Gradually add the stock, a little at a time, adding more as it's absorbed by the rice. Make sure you keep stirring!
• When you've used about two thirds of the stock, scatter the brocolli over the top, and pour in the remaining stock.
• Give it a good stir every now and then, and cook until the brocolli is just tender and the rice has a slight bite to it.
• Take the chicken out of the oven & remove from the dish. Pour the juices into the risotto.
• Stir in the lemon juice & zest, and some chopped herbs.
• EAT IT!
You can use chicken breast if you prefer (with skin on is best!) and you can also add a glass of white wine, or Parmesan cheese, although I prefer it without as it tastes more zingy and fresh.
As always, let me know if you try my recipe!
• follow on: twitter • facebook • bloglovin'