If you follow me on Instagram or Twitter, you've probably noticed that I've been feeling rather poorly lately. A horrible cold has morphed into a chest infection, and I'm feeling very sorry for myself. On Tuesday I managed to haul myself out of bed and cook this really easy chicken stew, which has been keeping me going for a few days, and it feels like it's healing me.
To make enough for 6-8 servings, you'll need...
• 5 chicken thighs
• 1 lemon
• 6 cloves of garlic
• 5 carrots
• 4 spring onions
• a thumb of fresh ginger
• 3 sticks of celery
• a few chestnut mushrooms
• brown rice
• a little chilli powder
• salt & pepper
• Heat the oven to 180ºC.
• Put the chicken thighs in a roasting dish with half a lemon, 1 1/2 carrots cut into chunks, a sliced garlic clove, a little salt, and about 2-3cm of water. Bake for around 45min or until cooked through.
• Once cooked, remove the skin (keep to crisp up later or chuck if you're not a fan) and remove all the meat & place in a bowl.
• Remove the lemon & pour the water from the dish into a jug - this will be your stock for the stew!
• Using a stick blender, blend the carrots and garlic in the jug of stock. Add juice of remaining half of the lemon. Add more water if necessary.
• Heat a casserole dish or large saucepan over a medium heat.
• Finely dice the remaining garlic & the ginger. Place half of it in the pan with a small amount of oil, and roughly chopped spring onions. Cook for 5 minutes to soften.
• Slice the carrots and celery, and add to the pan, stirring often and adding a little water if anything starts to stick to the bottom. Cook for about 10 minutes or until they start to soften.
• Add the chicken to the pan, stir and add the stock.
• Add the mushrooms and remaining garlic & ginger, stir and turn off the heat. Leave for 15 minutes.
• Season with salt, pepper and chilli powder to taste.
• I used microwave brown rice as I was feeling too poorly to cope with cooking it properly. One packet is plenty for this. You can either cook & serve it separately, or mix it in with the stew in the pan. Be aware that the rice will soak up some of the liquid though!!
• If you want to make crispy chicken skin shards simply slice the chicken skin and place on a baking tray with a little salt. Pop them in the oven for 5-10mins or until perfectly crisp.
You can, of course, add in any veggies that tickle your fancy - the more the merrier!
I've been loving having this easy meal in my fridge for when I get hungry. Just pop a bit in a bowl, heat it up, and feel the goodness. It's such a lovely dinner, whether you're feeling poorly or not!
• follow on: twitter • facebook • bloglovin'
HEY! YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE THESE POSTS...