Mmmm.... the perfect end to a busy week. As I mentioned the other day, it's National Chocolate Week! Here's a delicious chocolate mousse & double chocolate cookies recipe, and some delicious wines to pair with it!
I've got to admit - I don't know much about wine, apart from that I like drinking it. Luckily, there's this handy little page on the Waitrose Cellar website which should help you pair the perfect wine with your perfect chocolate! We tried the Waitrose Cava Brut, Boekenhoutskloof Porcupine Ridge Syrah & the M. Chaputier - which was my favourite with the mousse.
Here's how to make it!
• 100g dark chocolate (at least 70% cocoa)
• 3 eggs
• 30g caster sugar
• 100ml double cream
• 2 tsp cocoa powder
• Melt the chocolate gently in a heatproof bowl over a pan of hot water, then set aside.
• Separate eggs into two bowls.
• Add caster sugar to the yolks and beat until the sugar has dissolved.
• Whisk the whites until they form soft peaks & you can hold the bowl upside down!
• In another bowl, whisk the cream until just whipped.
• Mix the cocoa into the egg yolks, then tip in the cream and mix again.
• Fold through the melted chocolate until fully combined.
• Very gently fold in the egg whites until it's smooth & evenly coloured.
• Divide between serving glasses and chill in the fridge for at least 2 hours.
This makes enough for 4.
And for the double chocolate cookies...
• 100g softened butter
• 2 tsp vanilla extract
• 75g caster sugar
• 75g soft brown sugar
• 1 egg
• 150g plain flour
• 15g cocoa powder
• 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
• 100g dark chocolate
• Preheat oven to 180ºC & line a baking tray with greaseproof paper.
• Beat the butter, vanilla extract, sugars and 1/2 the egg until light and fluffy.
• Mix the sifted flour, cocoa and bicarb in two parts.
• Break the chocolate into small pieces and knead into the cookie dough.
• Shape cookies (we made long ones to dip in the mousse!) and place on a baking tray, allowing room to spread.
• Bake for 10 minutes, and cool on a wire rack.
Ohhhhh man these were so delicious! There was a little extra cream leftover so we popped it on the top, and the raspberries cut through the chocolate nicely - you need that bit of sharpness or it could be a bit tooooo chocolatey (is that even possible though, really?)
The wine is gorgeously rich and smooth, just like the mousse.
For more chocolate goodness see Waitrose's chocolate recipes, or check out the links at the bottom of this post for some of mine!
• Thank you to Waitrose for supplying the wine & voucher for ingredients! •
• follow on: twitter • facebook • bloglovin'
HEY! YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE THESE POSTS...