Is there a rule saying you can't consume a couple of your 5 a day with a good dose of alcohol too..? Well, even if there is, I, quite frankly, don't really care. Here are a few cocktail recipes, and some healthy juice to wash it all down with over this bank holiday weekend!
Plus, you will actually be helping others by drinking these!
Let's start out with a little bit Lemonaid & Charitea - they launched in 2009, making truly sustainable soft drinks and iced teas. They are fairtrade, and also donate 5p from every bottle sold to their charity, which helps people to help themselves. These lovely little booklets came with these amazing drinks that they kindly sent me to review*, but if you want to find out more for yourself, please click on their names above!
You can buy them in Whole Foods, Selfridges, Harrods, Planet Organic, and a few places across Bristol including Better Foods & Cafe Kino, and of course, online!
They also sent over LOTS of cocktail ideas using the yummy drinks, so I thought I'd share some with you, and a couple of extras using...
...this shiny juicer from Panasonic* ! I have to admit, this did sit snugly in its box for quite some time before I cracked it out. I thought it was going to be too big for my tiny kitchen, and too complicated to use.
Turns out, it was neither.
It fits nicely between my kettle and toaster, and it's really easy to use. All you have to do is prepare your fruit & veg (basically get rid of any hard bits like seeds, stones, stems and skin, and chop into chunks) feed it into the machine and watch the juice appear! It has a frozen attachment, and is also apparently great for soups.
Right, here you go, finally on to the recipes. Let's start with something simple.
POP MY CHARI
• fill a wine/short glass half full with sparkling wine of your choice
• add fresh mint leaves and a couple of ice cubes
• top up with ChariTea Red
A no-brainer to ease you in to the long weekend! This is fizzy & fresh, and far too drinkable..
• muddle fresh mint, lime & 1 tbsp brown sugar in a tumbler
• add 1-2 shots rum (depending how you're feeling) & lots of ice
• top it off with Lemonaid Lime
Everyone likes a mojito, right? This is even more zingy than normal, with the addition of this vibrant bottle of pop.
CLASSIC BLOODY MARY
with fresh tomato juice!
• make tomato juice in a juicer - this recipe is great
• pour a shot of vodka over ice in a tumblr
• top up most of the way with fresh tomato juice
• add lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce & tabasco to taste
• sprinkle a little salt & pepper, and garnish with a celery stick
I never used to like bloody marys, but they've really grown on me lately! Perfect for the morning after with a hearty brunch! Make it as mild or as spicy as you like it.
FRESH GREEN JUICE
• juice together spinach, green apple, cucumber, ginger & lemon!
• you can add a little mint to make it even more fresh, or honey to sweeten
• garnish with a slice of cucumber
If, after all that, you're feeling like you need a little more veg and a little less booze, round your weekend off with this vitamin-crammed juice. The lemon & ginger will help fight off any fun-induced lurgies, and you can add honey to soothe a sore throat.
Hopefully there's something there which tickles your fancy.
Enjoy the long weekend!
* items sent for review purposes.
• follow on: twitter • facebook • bloglovin'